Gluten Allergies/Alcohol Intolerance
and the Bread and Wine used at Mass
- Further information and guidance on how to seek permission for the use of these alternatives
- Holy Communion and People with Coeliac disease - leaflet [pdf]
- Statement from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (2006)
- Circular Letter from Congregation for Divine Worship (2017)
The following suppliers have provided documentation to the Liturgy Office which confirms that they sell low-gluten hosts which meet the requirements of the Catholic Church concerning bread for use at Mass.
- The Gluten Free Altar Bread Co.
- PO Box 685
- 01293 517658
- Charles Farris Limited
- Quarry Fields
- 01747 861839
- McCrimmons Publishing Company
- 10-12 High Street
Southend on Sea
- 01702 218956
Please note some of the these suppliers also offer Gluten Free hosts. These are not made from solely from wheat flour and water and do not meet the requirements of the Catholic Church.
Confusion can arise because the Coeliac Society approves certain low-gluten products as gluten free.
In case of any doubt on the suitability of any low-gluten/’gluten-free’ product please contact the Liturgy Office.